Broderick’s is the longest standing holder of the ISO 14001 environmental management certification in the vending industry. We’ve chosen to be governed by Lloyds’ Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) standard: the premier environmental accreditation. Way back in 1998 Broderick’s was the world’s first vending operator to achieve environmental management ISO 14001:2004 certification.
From the time we first secured ISO 14001 certification, our environmental management objectives have been to continually measure, monitor and improve our environmental performance and practice and our environmental impact.
Lloyds’ Register Quality Assurance
Improving environmental performance is something the entire Broderick’s team is committed to: from directors to delivery drivers. It is at the core of our business strategy and is rigorously tested by Lloyds’ Register Quality Assurance (LRQA) every six months. This is environmental management taken seriously. In fact, Broderick’s is the fastest recycler in the vending industry to reach 1 million cups. Our commitment to recycling meant that from the day we began recycling we hit the 1 million target in record time!
Further positive environmental steps we’ve taken include reducing our carbon footprint, by:
- Increasing the recycling of packaging we used, and recycling cups where possible. We’ve invested £12,000 into a bailer and now recycle 100% of the cardboard used at Broderick’s.
- Minimising landfill waste by recovering, reusing and recycling our packaging waste.
- Sourcing sustainable supply and working only with suppliers with the right credentials and compliance, who meet our stringent policy.
- Influencing how products are purchased and our suppliers’ policies – to work with likeminded people.
- Working closely with our customers to reduce their environmental footprint, and minimise their air emissions, thanks to our selection of energy efficient vending machines, rated class A or above.
- Removing harmful refrigeration gases: we removed all R12 gases by 2003.
- Improving driver performance of our vehicles: from the way we drive, to making better use of the fleet and minimising road miles by changing routes.
- Reducing the amount of chemicals used in cleaning.
- Going electronic wherever possible in our own offices to use less paper across the business.
Over the years we’ve won numerous awards for outstanding achievement in environmental management: dating back fourteen years to when environmental issues were barely on the radar for other companies in the vending sector. Out of six environmental awards up for grabs at the prestigious CIS ceremony, Broderick’s were proud to walk away with four wins, including: best overall performance, best emission control and outstanding achievement.
For more information on Broderick’s environmental policies, please contact Elaine our environmental officer, firstname.lastname@example.org , who will be delighted to share more information.